Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Scene in '15: Black or White, The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel & What We Do In the Shadows

I'm a little behind on Scene in '15 posts (I actually saw these 3 before Cinderella) but we're getting all caught up today!

Black or White

This one wasn't anything special, I expected a little bit more from the cast. Quick synopsis: The film opens with Elliot (Kevin Costner) finding out his wife has just died suddenly in an accident, and spirals into alcoholism while his granddaughter Eloise's other grandmother (Octavia Butler) tries to take custody of Eloise. For me the plot was a little thin, and it seemed like the film was trying to make a profound statement about race but completely missed the mark. I would have liked to see more character development for Eloise, because even though the film surrounds her custody she seemed almost overlooked.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I was actually surprised by this one! I remember really liking The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, and my soft spot for Maggie Smith goes far beyond Downton Abbey, but this one was kind of a let down as well. The plot was slow and frustrating, but visually the film was beautiful.

What We Do In The Shadows

So before this post sounds like too much of a downer, let me say that I loved this one. It was like Jersey Shore meets Flight of the Conchords, with vampires. Super hilarious, and if you're a fan of British/Kiwi humor you'll love it too.

Now we're back on track! Who's pumped for the Indian Film Festival??

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment