Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Portlandia

IMG_2659
Something I've been trying to focus on lately just in terms of personal growth, is not just talking about doing things, but actually doing them. It's a lot more difficult than it seems (like blogging regularly). It's so much easier to talk than it is to actually set a plan in motion, but I'm really proud of all the things I've done this past year. One of the biggest things I'm proud of though is the trip Estrella and I took to Portland in August.

For the first time in my life I had vacation time at work and a little extra money, and I got this idea in my head that I should go on vacation. As soon as that idea sprouted I knew that it was totally possible and I really wanted prove to myself that I could make this happen. So I did! I called Estrella and asked her if she'd want to go somewhere with me, and after she said yes we kicked some ideas around and ultimately we decided on Portland.

It may seem like a little thing, but just the fact that we actually went still makes me so happy. This could have easily been something we talked about forever without ever doing, but we actually got up and went. And I fell completely in love with Portland.

We stayed at an AirBnb in the Hawthorne District, so it felt like we got a pretty good sense of what it would be like if we lived there. We were only there four days but we stuffed them to the brim; we went to Powell's and got lost in the sea of books, saw the Portland Art Museum, ate at food trucks, ate Voodoo Doughnuts, went to a movie theater that was also a restaurant, saw Rx Bandits, and walked around parks enjoying the Pacific Northwest. Portland reminded me of the Bay Area in all the best ways: strangers making conversation on public transportation, compost bins, heavy emphasis on local & handmade things. I was (and still am) smitten.

IMG_2655
Lemonade at LAX before take-off


IMG_2673
Door of our AirBnB
Portlandia
The city composts! Insert heart-eye emoji here.
Portlandia
When I move to Portland I'm buying this creepy house and painting it blue. 
IMG_2677
Lending library on the sidewalk!
IMG_2683
The best food truck title ever.
IMG_2693
Vacations call for mimosas and cold brew.
IMG_2694
Yolko Ono, the best egg sandwich I've ever had.
IMG_2701
POWELL'S! 
IMG_2705
A book store so big it requires a map. Basically heaven.
IMG_2718
Estrella playing Petrichor for me on the piano outside Portland Art Museum. 
IMG_2724
Line for Voodoo Doughnuts.
IMG_2730
The doughnut pay-off. Not pictured: the doughuts covered in Captain Crunch and Fruit Loops that I ate later.
IMG_2731
Salt & Straw composts.
IMG_2733
Sylvia Plath street art.
portlandia 2014
Rx Bandits at the Hawthorne Theater
portlandia 2014
I got the set list!
portlandia 2014
Still dreaming about this breakfast skillet.
Portlandia
Estrella and I decided that if we lived in Portland, this place would be our Sunday brunch spot.
Portlandia


<3









No comments:

Post a Comment